Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yuck Soup - Another Great Alternative for Halloween

Another fun project I like to do in October uses Joy Crowley's book Yuck Soup!  It's an easy reader about monsters who put in all sorts of yucky things into a pot of soup.  Who does not love yucky things in October?  It is a GREAT alternative to doing Halloween at school!

We like to make Kindergarten Soup!  It's much more delicious!  We have each student bring in a bag or box of crackers, cookies, or whatever and mix it into one of those giant cauldron's.  It's really fun and makes a great snack!


First is the parent letter.  I included two versions... one if you have the story and one if you don't.  (Just a thought, I bet if you check around at your school someone will have that book... it's a classic in the kindergarten world.)

Next is some options for you for making a class book.  Each student will draw what they brought to put in the pot and write it.  It follows the same format as the book.  I have preschool soup, first grade soup, and so on.  I also have one page that says ____'s Classes Soup.  The choice is yours.

And last is a graph so you can graph who brought what in.  Super fun, and reaches across the curriculum!



Please also check out my Halloween Store on TpT for other great Halloween Freebies!

If you enjoy this project, please leave some comment love.  And don't forget to follow me if you love it too, so you don't miss my next big project and FREEBIE!

I listed this product at Classroom Freebies.  Be sure to check out all the other great freebies there!

Head over to Rockin Teacher Materials for more great Halloween stuff!
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. This one looks like fun. I am not a big Halloween person, so this one sounds much more educational and can be incorporated with my Halloween centers for that day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this book! :) I usually make a turkey mix near Thanksgiving similar to this.....having it October would be fun too! It will be neat to see the difference in things students bring in October compared to November :)

    I did notice on the very first page of Yuck is misspelled Yuk.

    THanks for sharing!

    Ali
    alischepis(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ali for pointing that out.

    Although I am a HORRIBLE speller, the book title is actually Yuk Soup. I spelled it like the book title on the first page so if you use the book it matches.

    And I spelled it the correct way on the second page so if you don't use the book it would not be misspelled.

    Make sense? I did have to look it up when I made the page because I can never remember how it is spelled.

    Here is a link to the book and what the front cover looks like for everyone to see. =)

    http://www.amazon.com/Yuck-Soup-Big-Book-Cowley/dp/0780257189/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting me know! It has been a while since I used that book in K.....years :) and I forgot that it is spelled that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this...thanks for sharing! I love the freebies too. =)

    kindergarten days

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm following from the Blogaholic Social Network Halloween Hop! I hope you have a fun and safe Halloween! I'm following through Google Friend Connect, Facebook, Twitter, etc. if applicable!
    It would be great if you followed me back!

    Much Love,
    Courtney
    www.peaceloverecipes.com

    ReplyDelete