Parent Teacher Conferences are just around the corner.
Are you ready?
Here's my tips for preparing for successful conferences!
- Highlight the report card. I do two pinks or great things and one yellow or area to practice at home. This helps me to plan out what I am going to say with each parent.
- Collect student samples of work. This will help to provide proof of your grades.
- Have everything organized. Don't be pulling papers from here and there. It wastes time and makes you look very unorganized. I orgnaize mine just into manilla folders and then organize those by date of conferences.
- Never make your first contact with parents be a conference - good or bad. Send a note home now or make that phone call. It will make parents feel much more comfortable
- Schedule the conference and immediately send the confirmation. Parents have to take time off work and that's not always easy. The day before, make a phone call to remind them if you can and put a reminder sticker on the students that their conference is tomorrow. This will help with no shows. I use Avery labels for the stickers.
- Also consider how long your conferences will run. I like 25 minute blocks. This way I don't feel rushed and if I end up having 10 minutes in between that's better than 30 minutes behind. Even though I can get them done in 15, I like 25 so there is that buffer for late or longer conferences.
- Prefill the sign in sheet with student names. This will help you keep track of who has come and who has not. Also include a current phone number, it's a great time to get that updated because we all know it always change!
Sign in Sheet Conference Label
Here's those Avery Reminder Stickers and a Sign In Sheet for free!