Friday, October 14, 2011

Parent Teacher Conference - Freebie!

Parent Teacher Conferences are just around the corner. 

Are you ready? 

Here's my tips for preparing for successful conferences!

  1. Highlight the report card.  I do two pinks or great things and one yellow or area to practice at home.  This helps me to plan out what I am going to say with each parent. 
  2. Collect student samples of work.  This will help to provide proof of your grades.
  3. Have everything organized.  Don't be pulling papers from here and there. It wastes time and makes you look very unorganized.  I orgnaize mine just into manilla folders and then organize those by date of conferences.
  4. Never make your first contact with parents be a conference - good or bad.  Send a note home now or make that phone call.  It will make parents feel much more comfortable
  5. Schedule the conference and immediately send the confirmation.  Parents have to take time off work and that's not always easy.  The day before, make a phone call to remind them if you can and put a reminder sticker on the students that their conference is tomorrow.  This will help with no shows.  I use Avery labels for the stickers.
  6. Also consider how long your conferences will run.  I like 25 minute blocks.  This way I don't feel rushed and if I end up having 10 minutes in between that's better than 30 minutes behind.  Even though I can get them done in 15, I like 25 so there is that buffer for late or longer conferences.
  7.  Prefill the sign in sheet with student names.  This will help you keep track of who has come and who has not.  Also include a current phone number, it's a great time to get that updated because we all know it always change!

Sign in Sheet Conference Label
Here's those Avery Reminder Stickers and a Sign In Sheet for free!



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, thanks for sharing! I love the idea of pre-filling the sheet with the students' names! Unfortunately, our schedule only allows 15 minutes for each conference, so I'm almost guaranteed to be behind - unless someone no shows!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In kindergarten

    ReplyDelete